Residential accommodation | Course dates: Coming Summer 2025!
Where is Berkhamsted School? Show in map
Berkhamsted School - A Special Experience
Are you looking for something special next summer?
Come and experience a new programme from Elac at Berkhamsted School and find out what makes it special:
- Close to London with easy train access
- The course takes place at a top quality school campus close to London.
- There is an engaging academic programme (mornings only) mixing language work with skills development.
- The classes are small (8 – 10 students) and that allows you to develop at your pace.
- With a limited number of students from a wide range of countries there will be great opportunities to share cultures and learn from each other.
- Included in the programme are lots of fantastic trips and entrances, including the Harry Potter Studios.
- You’ll also enjoy an afternoon of ‘outward bound’ activities, including Climbing, High Ropes and Archery.
Berkhamsted School and Berkhamsted
Berkhamsted School is a prestigious independent school, founded during the reign of Henry VIII. It is located in the historic market town of Berkhamsted in Hertfordshire, just north-west of London. The school has two main campuses, Castle Campus and Kings Campus, which are situated either side of the town’s long high street, packed with cafés, restaurants and shops to visit.
The majority of the summer school activities will take place on King's Campus. This has superb facilities include a sports centre with a 25m indoor pool, Astro and 4 court sports hall, as well as a contemporary theatre, gym, and modern spacious classrooms. We will also use the Castle campus for some evening activities. This is the original campus and has wonderful traditional buildings and features.
Accommodation & Catering
Accommodation is in two large boarding houses close to the main campus. There is a maximum of three beds in a room, though many are twin rooms. There is a choice of rooms with shared bathroom facilities or en-suite rooms.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served in the college dining hall. The excellent menus include vegetarian meals as well as a selection of hot and cold dishes together with a salad bar. Packed lunches are provided by the college for educational excursions.
Educational Excursion Programme
Key Educational Excursion Features
- Direct trains from Berkhamsted to London (30 minutes)
- Guided sightseeing walks to take in main tourist attractions in London and Oxford
- Included entry to Brighton Pavilion, Madam Tussauds, the London Eye, a Thames River Cruise, and Thorpe Park
Students go to London twice, Oxford, Harry Potter Studios, Thorpe Park, with half-day excursions to St Albans and into Berkhamsted.
Our educational excursion to London will begin with a walking tour of the city – the best way to see all the world-famous landmarks. During the tour, students will see Buckingham Palace, The Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, The London Eye, the River Thames, Trafalgar Square and much more. Students will take a Thames River cruise followed by a trip on the famous London Eye. Students will also have some free time to visit some shops and buy souvenirs.
In Oxford our students enjoy a walking tour of the city to learn about its history, including an entrance into one of the famous colleges. In the afternoon students can choose to spend time in further sightseeing, wandering main shopping streets or in trying their hands at punting on the river.
In a city like London, there is always something interesting to see. On the second educational excursion, students will be taken to the famous wax-work museum, Madame Tussauds. There will also be chances to explore a new part of London, such as Covent Garden, the City, fit in some shopping in Oxford Street, or just soak up the atmosphere of the capital.
Thorpe Park is one of the largest theme parks in the UK with rides, themed cabins and live events. In 2024 it's long awaited ride, the Hyperia, will open. The Hyperia will be the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the UK. Students on this course will have the opportunity to enjoy a fun-filled day out at Thorpe Park.
Harry Potter Studios (half-day)
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter is a walk-through exhibition and studio tour in Leavesden, close to Berkhamsted. Visitors discover the magical world of Hogwarts and Harry Potter. The books and films come alive as you walk around the actual sets where the films were made.
St Albans (half-day)
St Albans is a historic cathedral city just north of London, a short distance from Berkhamsted. Students will explore the city and have the chance to visit the cathedral on the half-day educational visit.
Course fees (per week):
Twin/Triple en-suite TBC
Twin/Triple standard TBC
- Accommodation: Residential
- Course dates: Coming Summer 2025!
Student ages: Trailblazers (7-17)
- Student nationalities: Italian, Spanish, French, Russian, Israeli, Chinese, German, Latvian, Lithuanian, Estonian, Portugese
Airport transfer time:
Gatwick: 1hour 15min
- Educational Excursions:
Harry Potter studios
English lessons: 15 hours per week
15 hours of Elective classes (over 2 weeks)
- Laundry facilities: Yes
- Wifi on campus: Yes
Elac Study Vacations
Show in map